Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Why is it RTO usually is familiar with the more obscure term??

had a debate about "Opera length" gloves vs. "Evening" gloves last night. He swore he'd never heard of "opera length" gloves. those were "evening" gloves. Wikipedia is, um, a toss-up.

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search
satin evening gloves

Ladies' evening gloves or opera gloves are a type of formal glove that reaches beyond the elbow.

Ladies' gloves for formal and semi-formal wear come in three lengths for women: wrist, elbow, and opera or full-length (over the elbow, usually reaching to the biceps but sometimes to the full length of the arm).

see, I was telling him about losing one of my gloves back stage because I didn't have time or light to get them on, so I chucked them into the darkness and when I went back I could only find one of them. Anyhoo, I've only ever heard them called opera length or just opera gloves. oh well. Maybe it's because his mother is from Illinois.