Wednesday, June 22, 2005

a request

For those of you who don't know, I'm a part of a new opera company, TheLiving Opera. 2005 is the inaugural season, though the company is 2 yearsin the making. The Living Opera is a certified 501(c)(3), and its missionis "to make opera accessible, affordable and appealing to a broader spectrumof the community by offering high-quality performances, providing educationand outreach programs and promoting the development of emerging artists and artisans."

As with any start-up, whether it's a business or a non-profit, the first fewyears are the toughest, particularly financially. This hardship has becomea serious reality for The Living Opera. We just concluded our first performance, Don Giovanni. And while it was a tremendous success from the standpoint of the stage, the incredible costs of orchestra and principal singers has left us $20,000 in the red.Despite the debt, the season must go on! Yesterday, we began rehearsals for our next show, The Elixir of Love. Of course, we're all more than a little anxious about the shortfall from the last show. BUT with your help, we can bridge the gap. Asking for money has never been my thing. In fact, I run as far away from these types of situations as I can possibly get. But I'm enjoying my time with The Living Opera and look forward to the doors it might open for me as a singer. Who knows, maybe one day, I might have a lead!

And so, any contribution will help, whether it's $5 or $5,000! And your contribution is tax deductible (assuming you itemize your deductions on your tax return).You may donate online by visiting the company's website: the living opera or you may mail a contribution to:

The Living Opera
1830 Elm Creek Drive
Garland TX 75040

I hope you'll consider supporting me in this endeavor. At the very least, Iwould love to see you at a show!

Thanks!
Jennifer White (maggie katzen)

(special thanks to susan fox who provided this email) also i might add, i'd be willing to throw in some of my own handiwork for donations made.