Monday, September 24, 2007

today's record...s

only one so far...I'm being a slug today.

Porgy and Bess - Soundtrack: sort of, They list the stars of the movie, but not the actual singers except for Robert McFerrin. Also, for contractual reasons they sub Cab Calloway in for Sammy Davis Jr. as "Sportin Life". The imdb entry makes it sound like no-one was particularly happy with the film although it was nominated for 8 Academy Awards and won 4 of them. Anyhoo, most of the voices struck me as much lighter than what would probably be cast today. NTTAWWT. maybe I'll have to go see the Dallas Opera production in February.

okay, I guess it was Gershwin day

Bobby Short is K-ra-zy for Gershwin: I don't know why they always spell the title like that. I guess for novelty. anyway, 4 sides of Gershwin-y goodness (all George and mostly Ira) for a dollar! just Mr. Short singing at the piano and the occasional drum and bass. Quite a few things I'd not heard before. I liked how he worked a little Rhapsody in Blue into Kickin' the Clouds Away. There's also a Porgy and Bess medley, and he made some interesting choices on what to include in that. no Summertime, no It ain't Necessarily so, no I Got Plenty O' Nothin' some things that weren't on the soundtrack album I recorded earlier such as Oh de Lawd shake de Heavens and They Pass by Singin'. so all in all a nice little trip off the beaten path of Gershwin tunes.

Labels: