Tuesday, May 06, 2008

Tuesady night RTO's at work again records....

(um, yes I changed the title as I now know what day it is...)actually, it's a set I've been working through for a couple days....

Admiral bull horn Portable Stereo Masterpiece Stereo Library: say that five times fast. I've tried to find a picture or something of the Admiral bull horn Portable Stereo, but haven't had any luck. anyhoo, this appears to be a set of five albums put together by Capitol Records for Admiral, three of them titled "The Best of the(fill in the blank)" we've got Great Motion Picture Themes, Easy Sounds-In a Mellow Mood and Great Song Stylists. and then the other two are Favorites with a Foreign Accent and The New Exotic Sound. Whoever compiled it seemed to like The Lettermen and Glen Campbell and Al Martino, since they all had more than one appearance. of course my favorite was The New Exotic Sound, it had a lot of things I knew the tunes for, but some different arrangements, for instance a kind of stripped down Quiet Village. also the Great Motion Picture Themes took a couple of epic themes and gave them lighter orchestrations, such as Ben-Hur and Lawrence of Arabia. Anyway, I found the packaging the most intriguing part of this one, all the albums still have the shrink wrap on them and they're in a black faux leather folio.

Autumn Leaves-1965 - Roger Williams: huh, apparently I didn't like the last Roger Williams thing I recorded. This was much better, bordering on "early Peter Nero" style of cleanliness. maybe it's the engineering of it? I doubt it. here, he doesn't rely much on the sustain pedal and there are some nice riffs. Tico-Tico started out at a good clip and then he double timed the coda. I never know quite how I feel about Chim Chim Cher-ee as a "standard". I think I have the Disco Mickey Mouse (Mickey Mouse Disco?)version seared into my brain. That's hard to overcome.

Labels: