Saturday, May 30, 2009

RTO comments on Orfeo ed Euridice

RTO: um, do they often have women play men?

MK: yeah, the conductor just mentioned that this was originally written for a castrati.

RTO: oh, I guess you don't find many of those around today.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

RTO: well, of course she's Love, she's wearing a pink sparkly shirt.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

RTO: Have we seen her (Stephanie Blythe) in something before?

MK: um

RTO:

MK: not on TV, no. she was Carmen when I was in the chorus in Tulsa.

RTO: oh. I see she's maintained her build.

MK: oh yeah.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

You can hear an excerpt and see a few pics with the NYT review, here. I remember when I listened to an album a while back, I wasn't terribly moved, but seeing it really made a difference. I really enjoyed this, the acting and dancing and chorus made a big impact.

Labels: