Monday, January 01, 2007

round and round

today's records:

Going Places - Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass: okay, yeah, I heart Herb Alpert.

"The Windmills of Your Mind" and Other Academy Award Winners - Living Strings and Living Voices: I knew all of the tunes on this one, particular faves were the title track and The Way you Look Tonight (Swing Time was the first Fred and Ginger movie I saw and I was hooked.) and I did not know that Mona Lisa was from a movie.

Mexico Lindo - Living Brass: this is one of those mystery aquisitions. not sure where it came from or why I might have wanted it, probably to experience "A Trip to the Light Fantastic Bubbling Brass Vibrations of Today" and they mention the Tijuana Brass a couple times in describing themselves.

The Surfmen in Hawaii: They manage to play all the hits: Aloha Oe, Bali Hai, Hawaiian Wedding Song. And for whatever reason they add island sounds to the second side of the album. I wish they would provide more in the way of liner notes, or at least who is playing what... there was one bit where I couldn't tell if it was a really stilted vocalist or a theramin. the world my never know.

Labels: