Saturday, February 03, 2007

saturday recording

Look Around - Sergio Mendes & Brasil '66: gold sticker on the front says, "contains 'The Look of Love' as performed by Sergio Mendes & Brasil '66 on the Academy Award Show" yay!

Caribbean Moonlight - Les Baxter: I was trying to explain Exotica to my mom the other day since I had found a copy of Martin Denny's Exotica at the thrift shop. so I'll give you the Wikipedia definition:

Exotica is a musical genre, named for the 1957 Martin Denny album of the same title, popular during the late 1950's to mid 1960's typically with the middle aged suburban set who came of age during World War II. The musical colloquialism exotica means very precisely tropical ersatz: the non-native, pseudo experience of Oceana (Polynesia, Melanesia, Micronesia, and Southeast Asia).
if you follow the wiki link you'l'l see that Les Baxter is related. anyhoo, I found a couple Les Baxter pages also. If anyone can figure this one out, please explain it to me. huh, skimming the obit from this site it looks like he also did some television and movie scoring. including the theme for "Lassie" and he also worked with one of my other faves, Yma Sumac. (oh, ha ha ha, reading the interview here, she apparently hated him!)

Mirella Freni: sings lots of arias, mostly Puccini, which is cool with me. I think I picked this up because it had Poveri fiori from Adriana Lecouvreur(Cilea), which just isn't done much but i'd looked at it for a while. it's relatively short and makes one float a few high notes rather than yelling, which is what i normally do, so it was something different.

Honeymoon in Italy - Roberto Rossasni and his Orchestra: not nearly enough mandolin for my taste. oh well. I have a weakness for (fill in festive occasion) in (location) albums. one of my faves that i wore out in college was Holiday in Rome. I was hoping this one would be similar. it's not. no bad, but not loving it either. oh and with this one, I'm through the first cubby of records. that makes 81 folders, 1020 files, 29.8GBs. if i'm estimating things correctly, I have about 240 records to go. update: I just realized i mis-calculated because I skipped about 15 christmas albums. so, um, that makes about 280 to go. although I think there may be some more christmas stuff i'll skip. so, maybe i was right the first time. only time will tell.

Labels: