Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Tuesday records

Swingin' - Ramsey Lewis Trio: according to the cover this is a rerelease the first album they recorded. (as Ramsey Lewis and his Gentlemen of Swing) Mr. Lewis is still alive and active (booked through April of 2008 so far according to his website and hosts a nationally syndicated radio program.) The condition of this record was not so great though, so I'm thinking I lost some things. But it's still easy to tell that he had some classical training, he works some classical phrases into some of the standards, for example opening My Funny Valentine with a bit of the Chopin Etude in C Minor, Op. 10, No. 12 ("Revolutionary") and the album opens with the Habenera from Carmen. I keep thinking I'll pick up more of this recordings, probably on CD.

Holiday in Italy - Antonio and his Italianos: one of my favorite records. a lot of the standard "Italian" tunes, Torna a Surriento, O Sole Mio, Carnival of Venice. mandolin, guitar and the occasional tenor. The mandolin is just so clean on the runs and arpeggios, it makes me happy. quick online search didn't turn up anything more than label discography entries which is too bad because I would love to hear more of this "group".

Labels: