Sunday, October 28, 2007

Sunday records

and appropriately enough it's Festival of Faith seven albums of, um, not necessarily religious music so...

Popular Inspirational Favorites: just what it sounds like, various artists. some real hippie feel good cheese, I'd like to Teach the World to Sing, What the World Needs Now is Love and a sweet sixties soul version of Put a Little Love in Your Heart. There's also a few more "traditional" tunes thrown in, He done by the McGuire Sisters and I May Never pass This Way Again by Kate Smith.

Golden Hymns: honk-shoo. I didn't know it was possible to make Will the Circle Be Unbroken boring, but Pat Boone managed to do it.

Inspiring Songs from Stage and Screen: a few things I didn't know were "from" anything, Somebody Bigger than You and I (The Old West) and Without a Song (Great Day) anyway the only thing I found really entertaining was Tomorrow from Annie by Henry Mancini, His Orchestra and Chorus, very lounge-y.

Album 4 - Camp Meetin' Favorites and Golden Spirituals: I thought it was interesting that the Golden Spirituals side was almost all choruses of some sort or other. and that the chorus tracks were more lively than Harry Belfonte singing Swing Low, Sweet Chariot (which was interesting mainly for the really high soprano floating over his part). Particularly Ev'ry Time I Feel the Spirit by the Norman Luboff Choir. on the first side, am I wrong for thinking maybe Patti Page's voice is too sexy to be singing Were You There? (Ooooh, oooh, ooooh, sometimes it causes me to tremble.) everything else was pretty tame.

Album 5 - Hymns for Reflection and Hymns to Follow the Sunset: even snoozier than some previous albums in this set. though so far I like the few tracks by Roger Williams, His Piano, Chorus and Orchestra. They're just a more classic bit of cheese bordering on a more legit style.

I'll get to the last two albums tomorrow. I've caught up on the paper.

Labels: