Sunday, April 08, 2007

Sunday records

World's Greatest Piano Music: for some reason I have one record from this RD collection, guess mom will have to send me the rest. ;D anyhoo, this is pretty heavy on the Chopin with two tracks on each side two Debussy and then some Schubert, Schumann, Liszt and Gershwin. okay, who doesn't fit in this list? actually, Gershwin's Three Preludes don't stick out too much.

A Time for Love - Bobby Hackett with strings: mmmmm, cheesy cornet. this is one of those that goes on and on about the recording technique used in the liner notes. "Now-for the first time-you can really hear Bobby Hackett on a recording." well, since I don't think I have any earlier recordings of him to compare it to, I'll have to take their word for it. some nice arrangements of some of my faves, particularly On the Street Where You Live, they keep it moving with pizzicato strings while Hackett noodles around the tune.

Shadow of Your Smile and other Great Themes - Andre Kostelanetz: tried to dig up some info on "Kosty" (as spaceagepop nicknames him) I was curious about whether or not he was using a theremin on a few of the songs here, but I couldn't find anything. it very well could be a person singing, I have a hard time distinguishing sometimes. imdb says he commissioned Copland's Lincoln Portrait. and he was married to Lily Pons for a while.

Labels: