Sunday, May 11, 2008

Sunday records

Before the Last Teardrop Falls - Freddy Fender: RTO said you probably are wondering, "what were you thinking?" I'm wondering what my grandparents were thinking. I'm pretty sure that's where this one came from. anyhoo, um, he's okay. I liked I Love My Rancho Grande and wish more of this album had been in that style (not sure what the correct term for it is). oh well.

Alice Babs: I'll let the album blurb cover this one:

Alice Babs is one of Scandinavia's most popular recording stars. She became the favorite of all Sweden, when as a teen-ager she made a hit in the film "Swing it, Professor!", a musical production in a lighter vein. Her recordings of popular hit tunes have found their way all over the world, and even in the U.S. disc jockeys have taken to her records, so musically convincing in whatever language she performs, whether it be English, German, or Swedish. She has a versatile range as romantic chanteuse, ballad singer, jodler, sailor girl and lyrically sentimental interpreter. Her motion pictures have been successes, not least because of her freshness and unaffected style.... - Gerhard T. Rooth, Editor of The Swedish North Star


jodling! actually, was a fun album and they overdub so she's singin harmony bits with herself. There are a couple lines of English (something about "Miss-souri river")and a Swedish version of When Irish Eyes are Smiling. jodling!

Welcome to My World - Dean Martin: still don't like him. probably because of the lazy, furry sound and scooping. there ya go. Honestly, the title track was passable, but the more up-tempo things were annoying.

It Was Almost Like a Song - Ronnie Milsap: um, I was all ready for some cheesy 70's country and it was actually not offensive. I particularly like The Future is Not What It Used to Be, he brings some good emotion through his voice. also, the one tune I could associate with him was on here, What a Difference You've Made in My Life, and I would say it wasn't the strongest tune on here for him as it's on the lower side of his range. anyhoo, surprisingly pleasant.

Melodies for Romance - The Melachrino Strings: very orchestral arrangements of some show tunes and operetta. Three of them from New Moon, which I'm not familiar with. anyway, it was hiding in a cover for Romantic Rendezvous, so I was a little confused at first.

Somethin' Stupid - The Lennon Sisters: I've been told that siblings usually have voices that blend very well (such as me and my sister), and they do. It's kinda strange really, they get the same kind of sound as Alice Babs but probably in much less time. Anyhoo, some interesting tunes here, the title track and My Cup Runneth Over and Georgy Girl. I finally know what the title is for A Lover's Concerto. it's always getting stuck in my head, but I never knew what they called the pop version of that thing.

Magic Moods - Roger Williams/Bert Kaempfert: eh. not a collaboration, but a side each of these guys. seems they decided to go with boring Williams here. and the Kaempfert side wasn't breaking any new ground either, though I hadn't heard Trumpet Fiesta before and it was interesting if short. Otherwise it was mostly, let's have some females oooh along to songs. yay!

Labels: