Sunday, November 21, 2004

musical thoughts

This post got me thinking. my freshman year of college, part of the aural skills class required us to go to the lab and listen to some guy lecture about developing perfect pitch. I don't think it went over very well. at least, I don't recall anyone having a breakthrough with it. I don't have perfect pitch. but I do have some quirks. One time in college my voice teacher and accompianist thought they'd play a trick on me. I don't remember what song it was, but they were thinking that I might be more comfortable with it in a different key, we went through it in the other key, I knew it even though they didn't say anything about it, but I think we stuck with the original key after all. ha. then a while back my teacher thought that "Blute Nur" (I'm not sure about the spelling there, it's German and it's Bach) would be good to work on, so he played a recording of it and when we started reading through it I kept having problems. finally he says "that's so cute, you're trying to sing it in the same key as the recording"(which was about a half step up) I eventually worked it out, but that lesson was entertaining to say the least. That reminds me, I did take a pitch i.d. test online a few months ago, it was strange , the first couple rounds of pitches were synthesised and the last couple groups were piano tones. I was much more accurate with the piano tones. Maybe I retained more of the taped lectures than I realized.